Assessing The Options For Auto Insurance As A Leased Car Driver

Located in Enfield, CT, the Koverage Insurance Group emphasizes customer service and community. We strive to assist our clients while adhering to our ethics and values.

Auto Insurance Options

Koverage Insurance Group acknowledges Connecticut state law that every driver must maintain some type of liability coverage. We sit down with our clients and discuss all of their coverage options so that they can drive comfortably on the road.

What About Drivers Who Lease?

When you lease a car, you must purchase insurance. You will also be required to list the leasing company as an additional insurer. You may be required by the leasing company to purchase collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. Collision coverage would cover the vehicle if you were to be involved in an auto accident. Comprehensive coverage protects the vehicle if it is stolen or is damaged due to a natural disaster.

Another option is Gap Insurance. Gap insurance primarily covers the difference between the value of the vehicle and the remaining amount that is owed on the car. Some leasing companies may require you to purchase gap insurance. The policy often covers new vehicles, so if you are leasing a used vehicle, gap insurance may not be necessary. If you plan to drive the vehicle with your friends and family along for the ride, it may benefit you to inquire about a personal injury protection policy. A personal injury protection policy would cover the medical bills if you and a passenger were involved in an accident.

Koverage Insurance Group Will Work With You

If you are unsure about your options as a leased car driver, consult with the Koverage Insurance Group. Our agents will advise you throughout the process to ensure that you have the right policy. Visit our office in Enfield, CT, or contact our agents by phone to learn more information.

When Is Full Auto Insurance Coverage Required?

The agents of Koverage Insurance Group offer different types of auto insurance policies for residents who live in the Enfield, CT area. Collision and comprehensive are the most complete type of auto coverage but also have the highest premiums. The benefits you receive, however, are well worth it in the end. There are some instances when carrying full insurance is required.

When Is Full Coverage Required?

Full coverage is required any time you have a lien on your vehicle. This most often occurs when you purchase a new car and the car is used as collateral. Companies that offer cars to their employees to use for business purposes often will carry full coverage to protect their investment. Although not a requirement, full insurance is sometimes a personal choice.

Benefits of Full Coverage

Full auto insurance coverage protects you from almost any type of loss when it comes to your vehicle. This includes items stolen during a break-in, theft of the vehicle itself, and also various types of storm damage. Full coverage also includes coverage for collisions and liability, as well. Once a car loan is paid off, you can maintain your full coverage for as long as you choose or you can choose to purchase a less inclusive policy option. 

Koverage Insurance Group provides full insurance coverage to anyone who asks for it or requires it as part of a contract or car loan. If you live in the Enfield, CT area, our agents can assist you in getting the coverage you need. If you aren’t sure what you need, you can always contact our office and speak to an agent who can walk you through the process. Schedule a consultation as soon as you can to get your answers.

Does My Teen Driver Need Their Own Auto Insurance Policy?

The Koverage Insurance Group offers personal auto insurance policies in the Enfield, CT area. However, it can be tough to decide the best way to organize family coverage. This is especially true for parents with brand new teenage drivers. While most parents automatically add their teenager to their own existing policy, there are some distinct advantages to having your teen driver buy their own, separate policy. Which choice is right for your family?

  • If your teen already has a steady work history, buying their own policy is an important step towards building a strong credit history. For teens who aren’t as self-sufficient, parents can help them avoid long-term damage to their credit by keeping them on their own, more stable policy.
  • Married teens, those with their own dependents, or youngsters with limited cash flow can enjoy more amenities on their parents’ policies without breaking their meager budgets. Teen drivers with less responsibility may be able to secure lower rates on a solo plan that doesn’t include the little extras on their parents’ plans.
  • With a good student discount, many teens can secure a low-premium policy all on their own. However, those who aren’t as academically apt generally receive better rates on their parents’ plans.
  • Does your teen have their own vehicle? If they’re mostly using your car to get around, buying a separate policy would be a waste. However, if your child owns their own vehicle, a separate policy could be used as a tool to instill a sense of responsibility while safeguarding parents from increased risk.

These general guidelines can help you start thinking about the best solution for your family. When you’re ready for more personalized guidance, contact Koverage Insurance Group for help finalizing your Enfield, CT area auto insurance plans.

Who’s Covered Under Your Auto Insurance?

Summer’s a time for road trips and holiday activities with family and friends. With so much happening, it’s only natural to loan your vehicle to other drivers. Before allowing anyone to drive your car, make sure they’re covered by your auto insurance. The following guidelines by Koverage Insurance Group in Enfield, CT explains more about auto insurance coverage for "guest" drivers.

Immediate Family

Relatives who are part of your household are automatically covered by your auto insurance coverage. If your parents, brother, sister or another family member with a valid driver’s license borrows your vehicle, they will be protected by your insurance policy, as long as they have your permission to use the car.

Visiting Relatives

It’s not uncommon to have relatives come to visit for the summer. They may ask to borrow your car for a quick trip to the supermarket or local mall. If you give them permission to drive your vehicle, they will be covered by your auto insurance. Naturally, you should ensure your relative has a valid driver’s license and is a safe driver before loaning out your car. If Uncle Henry is known for speeding or Aunt Mary has a history of fender benders, you may want to think twice before letting them borrow your vehicle.


Friends are also covered under your auto insurance if they have a valid driver’s license and you’ve given them permission to use your car. Guest drivers, however, may not have the same level of protection that you have on the road. When in doubt, talk to your Koverage Insurance Group agent about the coverage guest drivers have under your policy so you can be prepared in the event of an accident.

To learn more about auto insurance options, coverage and costs, call or visit your Koverage Insurance Group agent in Enfield, CT today.

How Does Pulling a Trailer Affect Auto Insurance?

Before towing a trailer with a vehicle, be sure to contact your agent at Koverage Insurance Group, serving Enfield, CT and the surrounding area. There are many types of things that a vehicle can tow, which include campers, trailers that carry horses, utility trailers, and trailers used to haul boats. There are trailers for motorcycles, snowmobiles, watercraft, ATVs, and others. All of these uses may require special insurance.

Your auto insurance may partially cover some risks when towing a trailer; however, there are many considerations that can affect your insurance coverage For anything that you want to tow, you probably need to expand your auto insurance coverage.

Please note that we are just describing some general information about the possibilities. For the specifics about your coverage, talk with your agent.

Here are some main concerns:

  • Own or Rent: There is usually a difference in insurance coverage if the trailer is owned by the insured driver or if the trailer is rented. Coverage for a rented trailer may be excluded under an auto insurance policy. In that case, you may need to get insurance for the trailer from the rental company.
  • Fault: An auto policy may cover liability for damages caused to others and their property when the accident is the fault of another person but may not cover any damage if the accident is your fault.
  • Extended Coverage: Extra insurance coverage may be required for the things you will pull with the trailer, such as a boat, or your personal property such as things carried in a camper or horses transported in a horse trailer.
  • Personal vs. Commercial Use: Any commercial use of a trailer requires a different kind of insurance than the type that covers personal use. Err on the side of caution because things like entering a horse in a horse show may be seen as a commercial venture, especially if cash prizes are awarded to the winners. Even an occasional commercial use, means the trailer and auto may need to be insured for commercial activities.

Contact your agent at Koverage Insurance Group in Enfield, CT by calling or using the convenient online form to get a quote for auto insurance that also provides adequate protection for things that you tow and for any trailers.